22 Things STC Does for Communities
To Learn More:
Contact Steve Skojec, STC Director of Community Relations, (email@example.com) at +1 (571) 366-1906) or Sophie Coy, Assistant Manager of Community Relations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) at +1 (571) 366-1916), to learn more about what STC does for communities.
- Provides communities with 501(c)(3) status, which shelters their income from federal income tax rates that can be as high as 40 percent derived from activities related to their mission.
- Provides a global identity as part of an international organization representing technical communicators.
- Includes community leaders (North America) in STC’s Directors & Officers (D&O) insurance coverage
- Provides communities with new model bylaws templates, policies, and international affiliation agreements to promote effective and efficient governance and community operation.
- Links communities in a powerful global network.
- Provides hands-on advice and counsel by the Community Affairs Committee (CAC).
- Provides 24/7 access to a series of guidelines, tips, and information for community leaders on the Community Leadership section of the website.
- Offers group email lists by managing third-party contracts for easy-to-use technology.
- Enables 24/7 access to community records for membership recruitment and retention.
- Provides financial support to communities with need (2010 model).
- Advises community leaders on facility contracts (such as hotels) for community events.
- Invoices and processes dues renewals and payments to chapters.
- Promotes the profession and communities with competitions and awards programs.
- Provides special discussion lists for community leaders.
- Features community leadership information with monthly e-newsletter.
- Provides advice for preparing and submitting annual IRS information returns, including Forms 990 and 990-EZ, required of all US communities with annual gross income in excess of $25,000, and Form 990-N for US communities with lesser gross income.
- Offers Certificates for Insurance for community events.
- Sends out email blasts for community leaders to community members.
- Extends STC’s discount on live web seminar vendor services.
- Fosters a spirit of community and profession by acknowledging senior members.
- Provides legal guidance from STC’s legal counsel.
- Provides publications (Intercom, Technical Communication, and News & Notes) as a regularly scheduled communications conduit to members.