Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Technical or Scientific Specialty: 6 credits
Students will complete six hours of technical or scientific courses, including CIT 10600 Using a Personal Computer or 11200 Information Technology Fundamentals or an equivalent introductory computer course.
Required Courses: 13 credits
Students will select one course in each of these five areas.
Introduction to technical communication (choose one) -- 3 credits
- TCM 23000 Principles and Practices of Technical Communication
- TCM 22000 Technical Report Writing
- TCM 32000 Written Communication in Science and Industry
- TCM 38000 Technical Communication in the Healthcare Professions (online only)
Visual Technical Communication -- 3 credits
- TCM 35000 Visual Elements of Technical Documents
Editing (choose one) -- 3 credits
- TCM 31000 Technical and Scientific Editing
- Eng-W 365 Theory and Practice of Editing
Advanced Applications of Technical Communication (choose one) -- 3 credits
- TCM 42500 Managing Document Quality
- TCM 45000 Research Approaches for Technical & Professional Communication
- TCM 42000 Field Experience
- TCM 39500 Independent Study
- Eng-W 315 Writing for the Web (online only)
Career Development (choose one) -- 1 credit
- TCM 25000 Career Planning in Engineering and Technology
- TCM 43500 Portfolio Preparation
Near the end of their coursework, in TCM 43500, students will complete a professional portfolio, suitable for job hunting, which includes three to five documents of various types that demonstrate a range of skills and competencies. Practicing technical communicators will review the portfolio and provide responses.
As an alternative, students may take TCM 25000 Internship and Career Planning, a course that prepares them for professional employment.
TCM Certificate Web Site
Any student formally admitted to IUPUI may be a candidate for the certificate.Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses that count toward the certificate.
Courses taken at other universities may be recognized as the equivalent of the required courses and can substitute for 50% of the IUPUI courses
The TCM Certificate Coordinator will approve the student's selection of courses and/or appropriate substitutions.
Many of the courses listed above are provided online. For specific offerings, check the IUPUI Schedule of Courses.
- 779 West Michigan Street
- President: : Dr. Marjorie Rush Hovde
- Telephone: (317) 274-0825