Front-End Development and Coding: HTML5, CSS3, and Responsive Design
A basic understanding of programming is recommended for this course. Prior exposure to HTML / CSS should suffice for those feeling unsure.
Weekly Session titles and descriptions (what will each week cover):
- Setting up your development environment
- Text Editors and why they’re important
- Useful online resources geared toward furthered self-education & inspiration
- Understand how HTML & CSS work both individually and in-tandem
- Understand Margin & Padding and when to use them
- Become comfortable with positioning elements
- HTML Structural Elements
- Display Modes
- Delve into more advanced areas of study with layout design
- CSS Resets
- Box Sizing
- Responsive VS Fixed Layout
- EMs and REMs
- Media Queries
- Learn about how CSS is messy and how to fix it using Preprocessors
- CSS Preprocessors
- What is Sass
- Primary Features of Sass
- Primary features of Compass
- Basic Setup and Workflow
- JS Syntax
- Functions / Anonymous Functions
- Learn about various different kinds of plugins for jQuery and how to identify what you need
- Learn about If Statements, “For” loops, “While” loops, “Do While” loops, and how to use them all with Arrays
- Learn about what API’s are and why they’re important
- Learn how to asynchronously load new elements into your page without loading the whole thing
- JSON / JSONP
- Success functions
Frequently Asked Questions
When do education events take place?
Webinars are held every Wednesday afternoon from 2-3 PM EDT/EST (GMT-4/5).
A majority of online courses are held Tuesdays-Thursdays between 10:00 AM-1:00 PM EDT/EST (GMT-4/5), as to not conflict with webinar times.
When will I receive the Adobe Connect login instructions for an event?
Registered attendees will receive the Adobe Connect instructions three (3) hours before the webinar begins, approximately at 11:00 AM EDT/EST.
Registered attendees will receive the Adobe Connect instructions one (1) day before the online course begins.
To participate in a webinar and an online course, you must be able to access Adobe Connect, STC's online meeting space. You can test your Adobe Connect connection here. Adobe Connect is a standard web seminar tool (no separate download required) and all you need is a reliable Internet connection and phone line, or a computer with VoIP capabilities.
I registered for an online course, what are my next steps?
Once you register for an online course, you will receive a confirmation receipt that day. A majority of our online courses uses Moodle, STC's course management site, which attendees will receive the login instructions two (2) days before the course begins.
If you cannot access Adobe Connect and/or Moodle (as needed), then you will not be able to successfully complete an online course.
I registered for a webinar, but will be unable to attend. Will a recording be available?
If a registered attendee is unable to attend a webinar that day, they will receive an email with a link to the recording, and an evaluation link along with the PDF of the presentation.
I registered for a webinar and/or an online course, but cannot attend at that time. Will I receive a refund?
If a registered attendee is unable to attend a webinar and/or an online course, the cost is transferable to a future event, but is not refundable. Online registration closes one-two business days before the education event begins.
I want to take a specific course that isn't listed online. Will it be offered in the future?
STC rotates its courses every year as we try to offer the most popular ones within the first half of the year. Online courses are subject to change or are offered more than once per quarter. If a course is not listed, STC will offer it again in the following year.
How many CEU credits will I earn for education toward CPTC?
STC live webinars are two (2) CEUs, online courses are six (6) CEUs, and recorded webinars are one (1) CEU toward CPTC currency.
Have An Education Question?
Oops! We could not locate your form.