Integrating Social Media and Social Search into Technical Communication
18 June through 9 July 2020 (Thursdays) | 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM ET (GMT -4)
Learn how to integrate social media and social search platforms into your technical communications. Prepare to see social media and social search platforms from the lens of an end-user looking for help where they prefer to interact with companies online.
At the end of this online course, you will:
- Be able to identify social media and social search platforms preferred and utilized by your end-user.
- Be able to identify which content mediums will best serve the end-user by providing the most beneficial support resources for your product or service.
- Understand the importance of the constructs, expected engagement, accepted responses, and impact on user sentiment based on the use of the platform for product solutions.
- Learn how to utilize social media to illuminate customer pain points, recognize customer preferences, and apply real-time feedback for technical communication solutions.
- Know how to include social media and social search platform content in future content strategy, content planning, and content management in a way that benefits internal and external stakeholders.
Anyone working in the field.
- Learn the difference between social media and social search.
- Explore ways of applying user experience principles and concepts to choose the best platforms based on your end-users preferences.
- Receive your first assignment to identify one social media and one social search platform for three companies: a startup, an NGO, an enterprise pivoting from traditional to modern customer support channels including social media and social search. Include which content mediums will be used for each platform for each entity.
- Get an understanding of the expected constructs for each social media and social search platform.
- Learn how to research the constructs, expectations, acceptable behaviors, and impact on efficacy for the platform based on the ideal end-user.
- Build a tentative proposal that must be created for each entity including how you’ll be integrating the chosen social media and social search into the technical communication plan.
- Discuss how to utilize each major social media and major social search platform to illuminate customer pain points, recognize customer preferences, and apply real-time feedback for technical communication solutions.
- Request a tactical plan for how to search for customer pain points, customer preferences, and possible ways to identify requested as well as unsolicited feedback for each entity on their proposed social media and social search platform.
Demonstrate how to include social media and social search in content strategy, content planning, and content management.
Demonstrate how to present the use case for social media and social search integration with technical communication as an alternative to marketing for decision-makers.
Develop a content strategy, content plan, and content management proposal for the startup, the NGO, and the enterprise based on the information learned in the course.
Shawneda Crout is a self-employed technical communicator. She has over twenty years of direct customer support experience. Crout has launched social media communications programs across multiple industries ranging from a family-owned crane and hoist manufacturer to a faith-based nonprofit.
Her passion for words grew from publishing fiction novels to earning a Master of Arts in English, Technical Communication where she was introduced to STC as a student member. When she’s not teaching people the power of social media beyond marketing you can find her doing low impact exercises with her daughter or turning her books into SIMS 4 fun.