Mastering Your Website: Creating a Website Using WordPess
6 to 27 May 2021 (Thursdays), 1:00 to 2:00 PM Eastern time
There are plenty of website creation methods available now, from ranging from hand-coding a site to templated site builders. However, one of the most popular and powerful options is WordPress. Using a WordPress to create your site is easy to do, and once you are familiar with its basic terms and functionality, you’ll be set to create a website that displays your content they way you like.
Individual sandbox sites are provided, but you are free to use your own hosted WordPress site for the activities.
- Sign into a WordPress environment and use it to create your own website.
- Learn about and create different types of content on the site.
- Integrate media and customize the look and feel of your site.
- Enhance site functionality through small programs called plug-ins.
- Lock down the security on your site to prevent hackers from interfering with your work.
- Integrate with social media so your friends, family, and followers can track you as you become an “influencer”.
- Track how your site performs using Google Analytics and increase the findability by implementing Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Intended audience: Beginner to intermediate aspiring webmasters. No need to understand HTML or XML. Just someone with a vision that they want to share online.
To complete the exercises, you’ll need the following account before the sessions begin.
- Google account (for calendar association, SEO, and Google analytics)
- WordPress.com account (for configuring JetPack with social media)
- Twitter account (Optional: to link to the site to share your posts)
- LinkedIn account (Optional: to link to the site to share your posts)
- Session 1: Learning WordPress Basics
- Session 2: Creating Content and Adding Flair to the Site
- Session 3: Blanketing the Site with Security
- Session 4: Getting Your Message Out to the Google