February 11, 2015 - 2:00 PM
February 11, 2015 - 3:00 PM
Address9401 Lee Highway, Suite 300, Fairfax, VA 22030 View map
Applications use APIs to exchange information and services. You could say that APIs are the communication channel of the online world. Developers need help hooking their app up to someone else’s API. A writer who can provide that help is in a very good position.
Documenting APIs is not so very different from other types of technical writing. We show people how to use a product or perform a task. The difference lies in the product itself and the technical skills required. This webinar will introduce the role of API technical writer, the product (APIs), and the documentation. It will also provide ideas and links for continuing your own research after the session.
Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to the role of API technical writer
- Overview of the types of developer products we may be asked to document
- What an API is and who uses it
- A couple of live demos of APIs that you can play with at home
- Examples of good API documentation
- The components of API documentation, and the technical writer's role in the creation of each component
- Tips on getting started as an API technical writer