December 6, 2018 - 4:00 PM
December 6, 2018 - 5:00 PM
What is Plain Language?
It is a writing or a speech designed to ensure the audience understands sensible messages read or heard as quickly, easily, and completely as possible.
- Present information that helps your audience understand it from the get-go.
- Make good business sense, communicate clearly and with a goal in mind.
- Generate and convey direct messages while using everyday language for everyone, regardless of the individual’s level of education or a social class.
Note.: In many countries, laws mandate that public agencies use plain language to increase access to programs and services.
- The benefits of plain language are both tangible and intangible.
- Plain language generates laconic messages across in the shortest time possible. Needless to say, it is cost effective with high ROI. You win a wider audience, much defending the Dale Carnegie’s theory: how to win friends and influence people!
- More so, when your document provides instructions, your readers are more likely to understand them and follow them correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do education events take place?
Webinars are held every Wednesday afternoon from 2-3 PM EDT/EST (GMT-4/5).
A majority of online courses are held Tuesdays-Thursdays between 10:00 AM-1:00 PM EDT/EST (GMT-4/5), as to not conflict with webinar times.
When will I receive the Adobe Connect instructions for an event?
Registered attendees will receive the Adobe Connect instructions three (3) hours before the webinar begins, approximately at 11:00 AM EDT/EST.
Registered attendees will receive the Adobe Connect instructions one (1) day before the online course begins.
To participate in a webinar and an online course, you must be able to access Adobe Connect, STC’s online meeting space. You can test your Adobe Connect connection here. Adobe Connect is a standard web seminar tool (no separate download required) and all you need is a reliable Internet connection and phone line, or a computer with VoIP capabilities.
I registered for an online course, what are my next steps?
Once you register for an online course, you will receive a confirmation receipt that day. A majority of our online courses uses Moodle, STC’s course management site, which attendees will receive the login instructions two (2) days before the course begins.
If you cannot access Adobe Connect and/or Moodle (as needed), then you will not be able to successfully complete an online course.
I registered for a webinar, but will be unable to attend. Will a recording be available?
If a registered attendee is unable to attend a webinar that day, they will receive an email with a link to the recording, and an evaluation link along with the PDF of the presentation.
I registered for a webinar and/or an online course, but cannot attend at that time. Will I receive a refund?
If a registered attendee is unable to attend a webinar and/or an online course, the cost is transferable to a future event, but is not refundable. Online registration closes one-two business days before the education event begins.
I want to take a specific course that isn't listed online. Will it be offered in the future?
STC rotates its courses every year as we try to offer the most popular ones within the first half of the year. Online courses are subject to change or are offered more than once per quarter. If a course is not listed, STC will offer it again in the following year.
Have an Education Question? Contact Us!