We Are TechComm KnowledgeXChange (KXC)
KXC is an initiative for new TechComm professionals (as well as those new to STC) that provides free educational and networking opportunities to help you get started in your TechComm career. The following programs are currently being offered: new member meet-ups and information-led panels.
KnowledgeXChange: New Member Meet-Ups
You've just joined STC! Congratulations and welcome! …..now what?
STC's New Member Meet-Ups are informal, live networking sessions specifically for new techcomm professionals and those new to the Society. During the hour, you can meet other technical communicators, ask questions about STC, understand member benefits, and learn how to use your membership to your advantage. Each Meet-Up will include a few minutes covering key information about STC and its different products and services, with the rest of the discussion and networking up to you! Bring your questions and ideas and attend one session or all! Registration is not required, attendance is free, and new STC members are invited to join us!
Meet-ups are held on the 2nd week of each month, i.e., on either the 2nd Monday of each month at 12:00 PM ET, or the Friday of the same week at 3 PM ET. Check the schedule below for upcoming meet-ups!
Attend the New Member Meet-Up (link will be posted here the day of the program and the Zoom room will be open 15 minutes prior to each live event).
Upcoming New Member Meet-ups
6 March (Monday) 2023 at 12:00 PM
14 April 2023 (Friday) 3:00 PM ET
8 May 2023 (Monday) 12:00 PM ET
We Are TC KnowledgeXChange Live Panel Discussions and FAQs
Join STC for the monthly We Are TC: KnowledgeXChange and participate in a moderated panel with seasoned TechComm professionals who will answer the most common questions we get asked about the industry and what you need to know to start your career as a TechComm professional. Each month will cover a different topic of interest. After the live presentation, there will be time reserved for audience Q&A with our panelists. Registration is not required, attendance is free, and these sessions are open to all. KnowledgeXchange will be held the last Monday of each month at 1PM ET.
Attend the Panel Discussion (link will be posted here the day of the program and the Zoom room will be open 15 minutes prior to each live event).
Upcoming KnowledgeXchange Panels – The Panel Discussions are on a brief hiatus, please view our recordings from past sessions below!
Monday, 27 February 2023, 1:00 PM ET
Monday, 27 March 2023, 1:00 PM ET
Monday, 24 April 2023, 1:00 PM ET
Visit our Youtube Channel to view recordings of past panels
- I'm new to TechComm. Now What? (27 September 2021)
- How Do I Get My First Job? (25 October 2021)
- What Tools and Technologies Should I Know? (29 November 2021)
- How Volunteering Can Help Your Career (27 December 2021)
- Certificates, Certification, and Academic Degrees (31 January 2022)
- How to Build Your Network and Promote Your Professional Brand (28 February 2022)
- Transitioning to TechComm (28 March 2022)
- Should I Become a TechComm Contractor/Consultant (25 July 2022)
- Inclusive Language (29 August 2022)
- The Future of Work and Post-Pandemic Career Planning (26 September 2022)
- Conquering YourTechComm Fears and Failures (31 October 2022)
- Questions? Email email@example.com!
Future panel topics will include the following and more:
- What is a typical day in the life of a technical communicator?
- What's the difference between certificates, certification, and academic degrees? What do I need?
- How do I update my resume or portfolio to be competitive in tech comm?
- What do I need to know when job hunting and interviewing with hiring managers?
- What professional development and educational opportunities are there for technical communicators?
- What soft skills should I hone?
- How do I advance my career and adapt into new job roles?
- Why should I find and use a mentor or coach?
- Why should I build a professional network?
Have an idea for a topic to be presented at a KnowledgeXchange panel? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your recommendation!