Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research – Nominations due 4 November Ken Rainey, a professor at Southern Polytechnic State University and an STC Fellow, produced major research studies that provide ongoing benefit to the field of technical communication. Ken passed away in the fall of 2006, but during his years of service to STC, he designed and published many studies that helped connect what is taught in the classroom with what technical communicators do in the workplace. To celebrate and honor Ken Rainey’s passion for research that results in improvements to technical communication, especially to practice, the Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research has the following goals:
- Acknowledge the importance and value of exemplary research to the field of technical communication.
- Encourage quality and excellence in technical communication research by honoring those whose research studies have made an outstanding contribution to the field.
- Recognize research that makes an outstanding contribution to practice as a priority, but research that strengthens or extends curricula will also be considered worthy of this award.
- An STC member who has conducted a lifetime of quality research that has made significant contributions to the field of technical communication.
- An STC member who has made a significant contribution to the field of technical communication due to a high-quality, single empirical study or a high-quality set of related empirical studies.