By Nicky Bleiel and Cindy Currie | 2019 STC Summit Conference Co-Chairs
This year, the Expo Hall at the 2019 STC Technical Communication Summit & Expo will feature something new—the STC Tech Comm Library. It features over 80 tech comm-related titles, many written and donated by Summit speakers, including Peter Morville (Opening Keynote) and Saul Carliner, Ginny Redish, & Karen Schriver (Closing Plenary speakers). A special bonus: many are autographed by the authors.
The library will be open for browsing during Expo Hall hours on Sunday through Tuesday, 5-7 May. Read without guilt, and buy the books from your favorite bookstore when you return home! At the Expo Hall closing ceremony on Tuesday afternoon, all books will be raffled off to Summit attendees (you must be present to win).
Book topics include: information architecture, content strategy, training, design, tools, user experience, management, mobile, usability testing, writing, research, virtual teams, leadership, and more. A small sample of the 80+ Tech Comm Library books:
- If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?*, Alan Alda, STC Honorary Fellow
- Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond* and Planning for Everything*, Peter Morville, Opening Keynote Speaker
- A Trainer's Guide to PowerPoint*, Mike Parkinson, Workshop Speaker
- Creating Intelligent Content with Lightweight DITA*, Carlos Evia, Speaker
- The Language of Content Strategy, Scott Abel and Rahel Bailie
- Content Everywhere, Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- Technical Communication Today: Sixth Edition, Richard Johnson-Sheehan
- Badass: Making Users Awesome, Kathy Sierra
- A Practical Guide to XLIFF 2.0, Bryan Schnabel, JoAnn Hackos, Rodolfo Raya
- Framemaker: Structured Authoring 2019 Release*, Matt Sullivan, Speaker
- International Virtual Teams: Engineering Global Success*, Pam Brewer, Speaker
- Docs Like Code, Anne Gentle
- Articulate Storyline 3 & 360: Beyond the Essentials, Kevin Siegel, Speaker
- Flow-Based Leadership*, Judy Glick-Smith
- The Myths of Innovation, Scott Berkun
- Content Audits and Inventories: A Handbook, Paula Ladenburg Land
- MadCap Flare for Programmers, Thomas Tregner, David Owens
- Making Sense of xAPI*, Megan Torrance
- Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works*, Ginny Redish, Closing Plenary Speaker
- Dynamics in Document Design*, Karen Schriver, Closing Plenary Speaker
- Informal Learning Basics*, Saul Carliner, Closing Plenary Speaker
There will also be copies of Intercom and the Technical Communication journal.
A sincere thank you to all the authors and companies who donated library books: XML Press, O'Reilly Media, Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, Craig Baehr/Kendall Hunt Publishing, Pam Estes Brewer, Saul Carliner, Carlos Evia, Anne Gentle, Judy Glick-Smith/Mentor Factor, Inc., JoAnn Hackos, George Hayhoe/Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, Sarah Maddox, Sarah O'Keefe/Scriptorium, Mike Parkinson/Billion Dollar Graphics, Ginny Redish, Karen Schriver, Kevin Siegel/IconLogic, Kirk St.Amant/Louisiana Tech University, Matt Sullivan/TC2LS Tech Comm Tools, Megan Torrance/TorranceLearning.
See you at the Tech Comm Library!