Announcing Dr. Craig Baehr, Incoming Intercom Editor

Transitions and Traditions

By Aiessa Moyna, STC President and Liz Pohland, STC Chief Executive Officer

November/December 2022 will mark the final issue under the guidance of Editor Alisa Bonsignore, whose term concludes at the end of the year. We wanted to take the opportunity to thank Alisa for her service to STC over the past two years as editor-in-chief of our award-winning magazine for members.

Alisa has done a wonderful job of delivering educational feature articles, informative updates on the Society, and entertaining profiles of our members. She has worked to expand the editorial range of the magazine by recruiting several new columnists and first-time authors — particularly from among the ranks of our students and new professionals — balancing these fresh voices with familiar veterans who have developed a following over the years. Alisa has been a careful steward of the Society’s flagship publication, which not only is a valuable membership benefit, but also is a trusted source of news and information, and a key way for our members to stay connected with STC and one another. Under Alisa’s leadership, Intercom has seen an increase in online engagement and very positive feedback on the content each month. We invite you to join us in congratulating Alisa on a successful run as editor and thanking her for her efforts on behalf of our Society and its members.

Starting with the January/February 2023 issue, oversight of Intercom will transition to incoming editor Dr. Craig Baehr. Many of you know Craig as a past President of the Society, as well as the Chief Examiner for our Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) program and current chair of STC’s Certification Committee. With a dual background as both an academic and a practitioner in technical communication, one of Craig’s goals as editor is to promote professional development by actively aligning the magazine's content with the trending topics of technical communication, as well as with the CPTC core competencies, the STC Summit, and STC’s other educational offerings, including collaboration with STC’s journal editor. He also will oversee the transition of Intercom to an online-only publication, which provides the ability to publish more content than was ever possible in print. Please join us in extending a warm welcome to Craig as our next Intercom editor. We’re looking forward to seeing how the magazine continues to evolve for the future under his tenure.

If you would like to send a note of thanks or congratulations to either Alisa or Craig, or if you are interested in contributing to the magazine, you can reach them via email at intercom-editor@stc.org.

NYX GOLD AWARD WINNER
We would like to express our gratitude for being awarded the NYX Gold Award for Publications for Intercom magazine. The NYX Marcom Award is an international competition that recognizes Creative Excellence in Marketing and Communication Campaigns that transcend intercontinental barriers. NYX Marcom Awards program recognizes, celebrates, and honors creative excellence in marketing and communication across all facets of industries and mediums, to advocate valuable and significant projects.

LIZ POHLAND (liz.pohland@stc.org) is the Chief Executive Officer of STC.

AIESSA MOYNA (amoyna.stc@gmail.com) is the 2022-2023 President of STC. Her recurring column will provide updates and insights on Board activities and solicit member feedback to guide ongoing decision-making.