Manitoba Chapter STC
The first meeting of STC Manitoba’s current chapter was held August 25, 1988, when some of the current STC members in the province and a few others met at Great-West Life to talk about the possibilities of a new chapter in Winnipeg. According to the minutes, that first meeting was attended by Caroline Ben-Ari, Joanne Blackwood, Alexa Campbell, Susan Haire, Laurie Morgan, and Tony Rhodes-Marriott. (The previous chapter had disbanded May 1986).
Our first plan of action was to contact major companies who were likely to have technical writers on staff.
By October, we had seven members, Joanne Blackwood, Ron Blicq, Alexa Campbell, Susan Haire, Denise Laporte-Dawes, Anne Parker and Tony Rhodes-Marriott. The first program meeting was held on the first Thursday of November, at the Viscount Gort. Twenty-one people attended.
We had 15 members by December 1988, when Jamie Conklin joined. We received our charter in January 1989.
The first president was Alexa Campbell, with Andrew Quarry as Secretary and Penny Staples as Treasurer. The program committee was Jack Lee, Ron Blicq and Laurie Morgan. The membership committee were Joanne Blackwood and Caroline Ben-Ari.
Our newly fledged chapter held an all-day workshop in April 1989, sponsored by IBM. That was the first of many ambitious activities undertaken by this energetic group. Some highlights of other years include:
- The Technical Communication in Western Canada project (1993-1995)
- Plain Language Workshop by Siegal and Gale (1994)
- Designing effective computer training, by Celia Clark (1995)
- Four Fellows and one Associate Fellow
- Chapter achievement awards
- Hosted two STC board meetings (1991, 2001)
- Hosted the Region 6 conference
- Journal Club SIG running since 2001
- Joint STC/RRC conference running since 2004
Name: Daria Patrie, president