What is an STC Fellow?
Becoming an STC Fellow is a lifelong journey of achievement, an honor bestowed by the Society upon Associate Fellows who have continued to make exemplary contributions to our organization and profession, who have made good on their promise to make a difference.
STC members who have held the rank of Associate Fellow for at least three years are eligible to be considered for advancement to the rank of Fellow. Such Associate Fellows will have been members of the Society for at least 13 years, and been active in the technical communication profession for at least 18 years.
Each year, the Society invites qualified Associate Fellows to present their credentials for review by the Fellows Nominating Committee. This committee, composed entirely of Fellows, considers carefully the accomplishments of Associate Fellows in these areas:
- Professional qualifications (academic and other) and experience, demonstrating significant achievements in and advancement of technical communication over a long career.
- STC activities, demonstrating distinguished contributions to STC and to the advancement of the profession through Society activities.
- Activities with other professional organizations, demonstrating significant contributions to the field of technical communication and advancement of the profession in organizations other than STC.
- Publications, presentations, and electronic media, demonstrating breadth of experience, original contributions, and advancement of the profession of technical communication.
- Honors and awards in technical communication, demonstrating widespread recognition of eminence in the profession.
- Volunteer mentoring and community service that involves sharing communication skills, demonstrating significant contributions to organizations outside the technical communication field.
Note: The STC Board of Directors is considering changes to the selection criteria, including weighting percentages, that are set forth on pages 18-5 and 18-6 in the Guidelines for Applying for STC Fellow. While you are welcome to use current criteria as a guide when preparing your application, try to make the strongest case for yourself in all of the categories.
If the Fellows Nominating Committee believes that an Associate Fellow has excelled in each of these areas and is deserving of this highest honor conferred upon a member by the Society, the committee will recommend to the STC Board of Directors that he or she be elected a Fellow. The Board considers each recommended candidate and may, by a two-thirds vote of all members, elect him or her a Fellow.
We take enormous pride in recognizing our Fellows for their extraordinary accomplishments in and contributions to the arts and science of technical communication.