U.S. Members: Deduct Your STC Dues

You may be able to deduct membership fees or dues you pay to STC. However, you can deduct only the amount that is more than the value of the benefits you receive.

If you pay taxes in the United States, keep in mind that STC dues are tax deductible. Please note, however, that dues must be deducted from the tax return filed for the year in which they were paid. In other words:

  • Dues paid in 2012 may be deducted only from 2012 tax returns.
    • If you paid your 2012 dues in 2012 they may be deducted from your 2012 taxes.
    • If you paid your 2013 dues on or before 31 December 2013, these dues may be deducted only from your 2011 return.

Members who have questions should contact their local IRS office, read IRS publication 526 and 17, or contact their accountant.

You can claim dues as a deduction in one of several ways: as a charitable expense, a business expense, or a miscellaneous deduction.

Charitable Expense

Gold Education members may not deduct their membership as a charitable contribution since the Gold Education membership is valued at an amount that exceeds the dues charged for that membership. It may still be deductable as a business expense as noted below.

As a 501(c)(3) organization, STC is a qualified organization and is required by law to notify members of the value of tangible benefits received as part of their dues payment. In 2012 the tangible value is $30 ($14 for Technical Communication and $16 for Intercom). This amount or prorated portion (if a member for less than 12 months) should be deducted from total dues payment to arrive at charitable contribution amount.

Example: $195 for the discounted Basic membership (prior to 31 December) minus $30 in tangible benefits equals a deductable amount of $165.

Business Expense

Employers and self-employed consultants may consider amounts paid as a business expense for all STC membership categories, including Gold Education membership.

Money, Not Time

While dues, contributions, and out-of-pocket expenses may be deducted, personal services may not.

Please Note

The information provided above is for your convenience only and should not replace the advice of your tax professional. STC does not provide formal tax advice for individuals regarding their personal tax situation.