Spotlight on Membership: Talking with John Maxwell

The 2013 membership season opened on 1 October, and we’re already seeing plenty of renewals as well as a number of new members! Your Friendly Neighborhood Blogger looked through the names and picked a few people to talk to about their membership and why they’re a part of STC. Below are a few questions with John Maxwell, who was the first new Student Member to join STC for 2013. Keep an eye on STC’s Notebook for more conversations with members!

Where are you going to school and what are you studying?

I am attending Northeastern University. I am working on a BS in technical communication. I looked at other programs but Northeastern provided me with the most flexibility. The program is 100% online so I can do school work anytime and anywhere as long as I have access to the Internet. I am a “nontraditional” adult student. My wife is also in school and we have three young children. Time is precious.

How did you first hear about STC?

I've been involved with writing most of my life. In high school I founded the school newspaper. After high school I attended several colleges while pursuing a biology degree. I worked in various jobs after deciding to put school on hold. My favorites were the ones where I had a chance to do some writing. I used to sell advertising and write a monthly column for a regional arts and culture magazine. The magazine folded and I was looking for an outlet for writing. During a Google search I stumbled upon an article about technical writing and immediately thought that this career was for me! I did a little reading and searched for an organization that promoted technical writing. STC was the first entry and I've been waiting ever since to become a member.

What prompted you to join? And what made you decide to purchase print subscriptions to both Intercom and Technical Communication?

A strong industry organization is crucial to a strong and vibrant industry. I've worked in the baking industry off and on for the last ten years and some of those industry organizations are indispensable. I wanted to support an organization that was going to support me.

I decided to purchase print subscriptions to both Intercom and Technical Communication because I still like holding paper. I have yet to buy a tablet of any sort so I need to have that portability of the actual magazine. In the near future I'll have a tablet and won't require the print subscription any longer.

What do you look forward to most from your membership in STC?

I look forward to reading Intercom and Technical Communication, using the Job Bank, meeting fellow technical communicators, and using the sage advice of more experienced members.

What value do you anticipate STC bringing you this year?

Knowledge, networking, and camaraderie.

What value do you anticipate getting from STC throughout your membership?

The value I anticipate gaining from STC throughout my membership would be knowledge, friendship, industry connections, a strong job and career, and mentoring from experienced members.

Anything else you'd like to add?

I look forward to becoming involved in the governance of STC and contributing to the society journals. In the future I would enjoy working with new members that are in similar situations as I am in right now. Having had experiences in other industries (print media, insurance, and bakery) I look forward to using and sharing my experiences with other members.