The STC logo is available to members in various formats with guidelines for its use. Chapters and SIGs that have independent logos are encouraged to consider updating their logos and may use elements of the STC logo in their design. The refreshed logos, both colored and B&W versions, can be used in a variety of ways – including some innovative new ones, in conjunction with community logos and specific event logos.
The STC logo is part of the brand that defines the Society to its members, staff, and the public. The brand is experienced in every interaction, every visual image, every communication, and in everything the Society does. You must follow the guidelines and correct usage for the STC logo in order to reflect the powerful brand correctly. STC leaders (at both the community and Society levels) and staff should use these guidelines and strictly adhere to them.
70th Anniversary Logos
These logos were created especially for 2023, our 70th Anniversary!
Use these on your website, STC community communications, etc. There are two colors for the ribbon, and if you use the PNG version, the background is transparent.
To download them, right-click and choose to save the image.
In addition to the formats displayed below, you can also download the logo as:
Using the Specialized STC Logos: Member, Senior Member, Associate Fellow, Fellow, Sustaining Member
STC members in good standing may use a specialized rendition of the STC logo on stationery, business cards, and websites to indicate their membership in the Society. Members should use the appropriate version below. Member logos are available for Members, Senior Members, Associate Fellows, and Fellows in horizontal or vertical format as PNGs. (Black and white or grayscale membership logos are not available.)
Add an STC member logo to your Gmail signature by following these steps:
- On the STC Logo page, right click on the desired membership icons and choose Copy Image Address or Copy Image Link, depending on your browser.
- In Gmail, click the Settings/Gear icon.
- Click See All Settings.
- On the General tab, scroll down to the Signature section.
- Click the Create New button, name the signature, and click Create.
- In the signature field, click the Insert Image icon.
- Click the Web Address (URL) tab.
- Paste in the URL that you copied and click Select.
- In the Signature field, click the inserted image and choose Small.
- Enter your name and other desired text for the signature.
- Scroll down and click Save Changes.
|STC Logo Sustaining Member Horizontal|
The STC logo and logotype should appear on all official communication from the Society, including that of chapters, SIGs, and committees. Do not alter the placement of the logo, logotype, and contact information on any official STC stationery. Examples of uses of the logo, such as envelopes, note cards, etc., may be obtained form the STC office.
- Use with or without the logotype ‘Society for Technical Communication’. Use the logo and logotype together whenever possible; ‘TC’ in the logo, ‘Society for Technical Communication’ for the logotype, and Blue gradient stop- color for the rounded box. The preferred way to present the STC logo is with the ‘horizontal’ version—with the logotype to the right of the logo. Do not reverse. If this is not possible, then use the ‘vertical’ version. When either of these cannot be used (such as certain documents or Web page designs), then use the ‘no tag’ version with STC’s full title—Society for Technical Communication— appearing elsewhere on the same page. No other rendition of the STC logo is allowed.
- The STC logo can be displayed on third-party websites to indicate a Corporate Value Program membership, organizational partnership, or sponsorship of the Society. Other companies that wish to show support for the Society can display the STC logo only with the written approval of STC’s Executive Director.
- The logo can appear on a Web page exclusively as a link to the STC website home page (www.stc.org). Written permission is not needed for this use.
- Use the color version of the STC logo whenever possible. Use grayscale versions when you cannot use the color versions. Only use the black & white versions when you cannot use either the color or grayscale versions.
- Never use the STC logo and logotype on personal or business stationery, business cards, or on any publication or document not officially sanctioned by the Society. Its use on personal documents implies that these documents have been approved or monitored by STC.
- Individual members may choose to associate themselves with the Society by indicating they are an STC member on personal documents only by using the ‘Member’ version of the STC logo.
- Members are not permitted to use the STC logo and logotype to promote their business.
- Do not put the STC logo and logotype in advertisements, literature, or other communications that promote, or include the promotion of, products or services of others without the written approval of STC’s Executive Director, as this implies endorsement by STC.
- Do not incorporate or blend the STC logo into another logo, company name, product name, lettering, or in any way become part of any surrounding shape or design without the written approval of STC’s Executive Director.
STC Logo and Logotype for Chapters/Communities/SIGs
In past years, chapters and SIGs were given carte blanche in the design of their respective logos. Many creative designs have been developed and used. To unify the communities, STC encourages the Society logo to be incorporated into chapter and SIG logos to identify them as a division of STC. While existing logos can continue to be used, STC requests and encourages chapters and SIGS to incorporate the STC logo to create a consistent brand as soon as possible (and forego any unique logos that do not comply with these standards).
STC requests that STC leaders use their best judgment when choosing appropriate promotional items to ensure they reflect STC positively. Communities—chapter and SIGs—that create items such as T-shirts, coffee mugs, or other promotional items for their chapter [and can] must use the chapter’s logo on those items and not the STC logo. Communities can include the STC logo (to show the relationship with the international organization), but the STC logo must be smaller and less conspicuous than the community logo. Some promotional materials might not provide much space for the STC logo and logotype to appear clear and readable; in these situations, use the logo-only version. If space permits, use the STC logo and logotype together to ensure the consistency of the brand recognition.
Chapters, SIGs, and Society-level committees should prominently display their logos and names on publications, correspondence, and websites, with the STC logo displayed in a manner that shows the group’s relationship to the Society. The chapter or SIG name, logo, and address must appear prominently on the document, with a small STC logo elsewhere on the page. The Society name and logo must appear on the front page of any chapter, SIG, committee publication, or web page to show that they are a part of the Society. However, the STC logo should not be incorporated into the banner of the newsletter or Web page.
The STC signature must appear on all STC publications, chapter and SIG newsletters, brochures and pamphlets, as well as any general communications and forms.
When creating an STC signature, include the logo and logotype using the technical specs for the logo and logotype. Each version of the STC signature, color, grayscale, and black & white, can be rendered with the logotype to the right of the logo, with the logotype underneath the logo, or with the logo by itself. The logotype must never appear to the left of the logo. No other rendition of the STC signature is allowed.
There must be a clear space all around the signature. No text (other than the logotype) should be placed immediately next to the logo. Leave a text-free and image-free border area around the logo so that a casual observer can easily distinguish the logo from the nearest text.
STC Logo and Logotype Technical Specifications
|Pantone Matching System *Preferred||Offset printing||Pantone||PMS 2738||PMS 012||PMS 273|
|Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, and Key for black||Offset printing||CYMK||C93 M87 Y0 K0||C0 M7 Y100 K||C100 M100 Y5 K5|
|Red, Green, Blue||Electronic displays (computers and televisions)||RGB||R0 G0 B204||R255 G225 B0||R0 G0 B153|
|Hexadecimal||HTML Web pages||Hex||Hex 0000CC||Hex FFE100||Hex 000099|
- The drop shadow on the bounding box is set at 33% Black, and is offset at 3% of the height and width with a 3% Gaussian Blur.
- The STC logo features the STC acronym inside a rounded rectangle with a graduated screen background and drop shadow. The letter “S” is gray, and “TC” are yellow; all the letters are touch kerned. The ‘STC’ is set in the Myriad Pro font. The STC logotype is the full name of the Society, upper and lower case, and is set in the Hoefler Text font.
- Do not change or alter any element of the Society logo in any way. When using the logo in different sizes, the proportion between the height and the width must remain the same; do not alter the proportion between the height of the box and the height of the letters inside the box. Keep the same proportions, at least one-half inch (100 X 100 pixels) in height or larger, when resizing the logo. In essence, you can only use one of the graphic vector files as is or resize it proportionately.
- The rounded rectangle around the letters “STC” is part of the logo; do not eliminate them.
- There must be a clear space all around the signature. No text (other than the logotype) should be placed immediately next to the logo. Leave a text-free and image-free border area around the logo so that a casual observer can easily distinguish the logo from the nearest text.
- Reproduce the STC logo and logotype on a printer capable of producing smooth, dark images—otherwise, the letters within the logo may appear pixilated and jagged.
- Whenever possible, use the logo and logotype on all STC materials. The logo and logotype must appear on official STC documents such as letterhead and publication.
- The logo can be placed on background elements and colors in printed materials or on websites, although STC asks that proper steps are taken to use a quality image file. When printing on dark or colored backgrounds, use a reversed version of the STC logo and logotype. In these versions, a white rule surrounds the bounding box and the logotype is set in white.