STC Student Scholarships
The STC Student Scholarship assists students who are pursuing an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree or graduate certificate program in some aspect of technical communication.
Honorees notified: After vote by STC Board of Directors, usually in March.
Awards Presented: At the Honors Reception at the STC Technical Communication Summit.
- Applicants must have completed at least one year of post-secondary education.
- They may be either students working toward a graduate degree or certificate, or undergraduate students working toward a Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants should have at least one full year of academic work remaining to complete their degree programs, although under exceptional circumstances an award may be granted to a student for the final half-year.
- Applicants should be studying technical communication or a related field. Contact the STC Scholarship Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions about your program’s eligibility.
- Up to two (2) awards of $500 are for the academic year (Aug/Sept. — May/June).
- The scholarship includes an opportunity to volunteer at the STC Summit and attend the STC Summit with free registration.
When completing the application, applicants should keep in mind that questions regarding the “next academic year” refer to the scholastic year.
Essays of goals and achievements must follow the word count in the application form. Essays are judged on writing quality and content. Be prepared to fill in the form for the following prompts:
- Describe your career goals and how you feel STC will help you achieve them (500-1000 words).
- Describe any experience in technical communication or related areas (project planning, project analysis, content development, organizational design, written communication, visual communication, reviewing and editing, content management, and production and delivery). You may include volunteer activities and class projects, as well as work experience. Résumés and samples are not accepted (250-500 words).
- Describe a trend in technical communication that excites you and explain why (250-500 words).
Applicants should not send samples of work, as samples will not be reviewed by the committee.
The completed application must be accompanied by:
- A copy of the latest transcript from the school currently or last attended. Official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation from two professionals; at least one must be from a faculty member. Please ask your recommenders to notify you when they’ve submitted their letters. The letters MUST be received by the scholarship deadline for the committee to consider the application.
If you are selected as a recipient, be prepared to provide the contact information (name, phone, and email address) of your university's and/or department's financial aid personnel.
- Supporting Materials should be attached to the form or must be submitted directly to email@example.com.
- The scholarship selection committee will evaluate applicants on their academic records, their experience with technical communication, and their potential for contributing to the profession of technical communication. The committee will use a rubric to complete the evaluation.
All funding received for the STC Student Scholarship program goes to a restricted fund usable only for the scholarship program. All donations are tax deductible. Click the button to Donate Today!