The STC Mentor Board is where professionals connect to establish mentor/mentee relationships that foster personal and professional growth and development. Serving as a mentor or becoming a mentee can help you direct your future, expand your professional network, gain knowledge and perspective on the workplace, and deliver tremendous personal satisfaction.
To create a mentor or mentee account, access the STC Mentor Board. You can make your account “inactive” until you complete your profile and are ready to participate.
OK, I have a mentor/mentee. What do we do now?
Anything you like, from structured activities to the occasional casual chat. But here are some ideas for things you could do to get the mentor-mentee relationship rolling:
- Share current projects. Show each other what you’re working on, and critique and discuss your approaches to the projects.
- Talk about professional development and training. What options are available through STC for professional development? Would going back to school be a good idea?
- Contribute co-authored content to the Technical Communication Body of Knowledge (TC-BOK). The TC-BOK is an online repository of knowledge in the profession. But since the profession is always changing, so is the BOK. Together, you can choose an unfinished area of the TC-BOK and develop some content for it, a good opportunity to work together – and learn something in the process.
- Attend an STC webinar together. This could be a good opportunity for both of you to learn something new!
- Look at the job market together – it’s a great way to learn about the current state of the profession.
- Start a mentor-mentee book club. Read a book on technical communication and meet to tell each other what you thought.
- If you’re located near one another, go to an STC chapter meeting together and meet some new technical communicators!
- Get more involved in STC. Join a SIG together and ask if they have any work that needs to be done. (They will say yes!)
Become a STC mentor or mentee today! For more information, please contact email@example.com or call +1 (703) 522-4114.